what is computer database?
A database is a collection of records or data that is stored in a computer system.
Overview of computer database.
A database is an integrated set of computer data, is organized and stored in a manner that facilitates easy retrieval. Two main objectives for the database to minimize data redundancy and achieve data autonomy. Data redundancy is the duplication of data, that data is stored in multiple files. Independent functions is the ability to make changes to the data structure, but making changes to the program that processes the data. Functions independent of placing data in tables and specifies the dictionaries are physically separated from the programmes.
Database has the properties:
- Is a central and integrated shared data that includes all data that is used by a company.
- Databse is organized and structured differently from conventional sequential file.
- The Agency provides access to any or all of the data from any program with equal ease.
- The organization of database is such that the duplication of data remain minimize, if not completely removed.
- It emphasizes the independent applications and data. Includes the concept of separating data definition from the application program and as part of the database, including.
- Provides the definition of the logical relationships between different entries in the database.
- Is stored on a direct access storage device.
Different types of databases:
- Further developments in information technology and its applications has led to the development of several major database types. There are six major conceptual categories of databases on your computer with the help of organizations.
- Operational databases these databases store detailed data needed to support operations across the organization. They are also called subject area database (SASD), transactional database and staging. The example is a customer database, database staff. inventory database and other databases that contain the data arising from commercial activities.
- Analytical databases: these data storage and database information from operational and external database selected. They consist of summary data and information necessary for the management of the company and other users. Analytical bases also known as data files or database of information. It can also be called a multidimensional database, since often use a multidimensional database structure to organize data.
- The database layer: the data warehouse to store data from previous years and current, extracted from various operational databases in an organization. Is a central source of data is used, processed, standardized and consolidated, so it can be used for a wide variety of forms of business analysis, market research and business intelligence. The Data warehouse can be divided into data marts, which owns the specific subsets of data from the warehouse. Greater use of the data warehouse database is data mining. Mining In processing the data in the data warehouse to identify the key factors and trends of historical patterns of activity. This can be used to help managers make decisions about strategic changes in the activity to obtain a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
- Distributed database: many organizations, reproduce and distribute copies or parts of the database for the network servers in different locations. Distributed Database can reside on network servers on the World Wide Web, intranet or extranet, or on other company networks. Distributed repositories are copies of the operational database, analytical or hypermedia database, debate or any other type of database.
- Database user: database consists of a variety of data files created by end users on their sites. Users can, for example, have their own electronic copies of the documents downloaded from the World Wide Web, word processing packages, create or receive in an email. Or they may have their own data files generated by use of the spreadsheet, and DBMS packages.
- External databases: access to many information from external databases are also available to payment from a commercial online service, with or without charge from many sources on the Internet, especially on the World Wide Web. Web sites offer an endless variety of linked pages multimedia documents in hypermedia database access. Data is available in the form of statistical databases and demographic statistics. Or users can view or retrieve summaries or complete copies of hundreds of newspapers, magazines, newsletters, research reports and other published material and other magazines from bibliographic databases and full-text.