How to destroy a competitor and their website
There is a dark side of search engine optimization that is looming it's head more prominently than ever before. The term for it is NEGATIVE SEO. Experts have already proven that it is possible to severely damage a competitor's low page rank website or blog by employing techniques that frame a victim by making them appear to be the culprit.
Google might need to rewind it's Panda and Penguin algorithms
I doubt very much that there is any turning back for Google search on this front but we should wait and see if they recant their newer Panda updates and Penguin algorithms. The new rollout affects websites that have been "over optimized" which could mean that poor quality backlinks are going to affect your ranking, your visitor count and ultimately your business. The SEO community is now talking about something extremely sinister that has been named "Negative SEO"
So far, no-one has dared write a detailed explanation of the craft on Wikipedia, so websites and blogs like this are here to fill in the gaps. So, what is negative SEO? Before we answer that, we ought to consider that there is only so much tweaking you can do to a search engine algorithm. Google has had many years to improve it's search and in many ways it has successfully achieved this. Powerful websites can withstand an onslaught of negative SEO practices, simply because they possess incredible authority but the real victims are going to be small and medium sized companies who rely heavily on their smaller websites. Here is what they need to watch out for. Currently, there seems to be no real way to properly respond to negative seo and the only hope that victims can wish for is a roll back of newer search algorithms. It seems unlikely that this will happen, so we can expect that more and more firms will be secretly using negative seo services to affect their competitor's business.
The Advent of the Darker Side of SEO Business
We have always known about Black Hat SEO but those practices are linked to using fringe seo strategies to increase a website's ranking in google. Negative SEO is different because it is targeting a business for the very purpose of minimizing it's success on the web. A negative SEO campaign might have the following in mind.
1. Buying excessive amounts of low quality links which point to a competitor's website over a period of time. This will trigger a search engine bot which is more than likely to believe that the site being targeted is involved in over optimization
2. Showing competitor products and services on your website using embed techniques with no plans to actually sell any of them. Deceptively displaying other people's goods to promote your own cheaper versions.
3. Employing others in different locations in the world for the purpose of clicking on adverts which appear on a competitor's website e.g. Google Adwords/Adsense for the purpose of making their CTR (click through ratio) abnormally high - which could end up making the website lose it's advertising account and ultimately lose a main source of income.
4. Secretly aquiring technology from someone who does not have vast resources and accusing the victim of stealing on your website. This in turn might cause the original technology producers to start a web campaign to refute the false accusations and ultimately bring free advertising to those who stole the technology.
5. Reporting websites to google who have paid for quality links (advertising) on other sites - stating that they are buying backlinks.
If you have any other dark practices to add to the list, then please feel free to add them in the commenting section so.