Choosing and Registering a Domain Name
A domain name is basically the web address of a particular website. For example “apple.com” or “yahoo.com” is a domain name.
Domain Name Registration
For any businesses whom express a desire to conduct online businesses, than registering a domain name for the company website is a MUST. However, not all domain names are created equal and stated below are some key pointers to remember :-
• A domain name is basically the web address of a particular website. For example “Apple.com” or “Yahoo.com” is a domain name.
• A domain name is like the title deed to your website. (you want to build equity in your web properties)
What are Domain Extensions ?
- .COM is usually the best, especially if it’s for the primary website of your business
- .ORG can be beneficial in gaining trust, and may be preferable for some information and service oriented websites.
- .Country-specific extensions (ex. .SG.CA, .IN, .JP) can be advantageous if you’re marketing exclusively to a niche within a certain country.
Why Some Domain Names Are Better Than Others ?
• While domains name mainly consisting of “made up” words, these words can sometime become very popular (ie. ebay.com, Xanga.com, Bebo.com, etc.)
• Consider adding a word, thinking locally, or making it personal (Examples on the video)
• a more straight-forward approach is better for informational websites.
• The domain name must very concisely describe WHAT the site is all about.
• Avoid superlatives such as ‘best’, ‘top’, and ‘number 1′. (Can hurt your credibility and cause problems with PPC advertising)
What about hyphens ?
In general, a domain with no hyphens is better. However, this is also very debatable. Hyphens can at time create visual advantage in some cases for SEO and PPC. However, it also makes the domain harder to remember, and more difficult to say out loud.
Where to register your domain name ?
- There are thousands of website on the internet for domain name register. Some are better than others. And always look for the good and reliable ones and never give them up.
- It’s important that you have good control over your domain (easily be able to change DNS, set up child name servers, etc)
After you’ve registered your domain, the next step is to get it hosted. Again, there are many good webhosts, and there are also lots of bad one. Unfortunately, the cost of choosing a wrong one is very grave and costly.